Thursday, June 6, 2013

5 Love Languages + a Challenge

 
Words of Affirmation
Acts of Service
Receiving Gifts
Quality Time
Physical Touch

About 5 years ago when Dale and I were newlyweds, we came across the book The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman.  Great book!  If you are about to get married, a newlywed, or been married for years and years, you have to read it!  The book focuses on the 5 love languages:  Words of Affirmation, Acts of Service, Receiving Gifts, Quality Time, and Physical Touch. Many people have a #1 love language that speaks to them. If their spouse focused on doing things for their loved one that focuses in on that love language then it really fills up the "love bucket".  

Since it has been awhile since reading the book, I went to the website (5lovelanguages) to discover my love language by taking a quiz.  I suggest both you and your spouse take the quiz.  I found out that my top love language is Acts of Service and second place was Quality Time.  It surprised me because 5 years ago my top love language was Quality Time.  When different seasons in life come and go I believe that your love language can change sometimes.  Now that I am a mom and don't have time to clean the house, what speaks volumes to me is when my husband shows me Acts of Service.  Just helping around the house by doing a load of laundry or fixing dinner speaks wonders to my love language.  When my husband gets home tonight I will have him take the quiz too.

While taking my quiz today, the website also advertised a "Love Language Challenge".  Again....me and challenges... I always have to accept any kind of challenge (I have about 5 going on right now).  This challenge is to spend the next 5 weeks showing love to your spouse by speaking to their specific love language.  My husband doesn't know it yet, but we are sooo doing this! I just signed up.  Not quite sure what it will entail but I think you just do one simple thing per week to prove your love.  

After our challenge is over in 5 weeks, I will be sharing all about it! Stay tuned....

I would love to hear if you join the challenge too. Feel free to share ideas on what you did to speak your spouse's love language, or how it's working out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment