Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Toddler Tuesday

Welcome to Toddler Tuesday!

In hopes to inspire other mamas to think outside the box and get creative to teach their little one, I came up with Toddler Tuesday.  When I became a SAHM last year it was difficult to keep my little guy entertained 24/7. I need to be more proactive and deliberate in his learning and development. My goal in doing posts about Toddler Tuesday is to mainly keep me accountable in teaching my son, but also encourage others to take the time to do learning activities with their kids as well.  Not only is it a good way to have time fly, but also a great bonding experience with your tot.

Teaching does not start in the classroom, 
It starts at home.

As a former kinder teacher, you would think coming up with fun activities for my son would be easy--It's not. First of all, my brain is still geared towards teaching 5/6 year olds. Most of the kinder ideas are too advanced for my son, but I am coming up with some ways to accommodate a few of the ideas to work for his age group.  Pinterest is also my best friend. Can't go wrong with finding ideas from the wonderful web.

I am still gathering material to share with you all in the next coming weeks. In the meantime, I have a few photo examples of simple activities.


My son, Joshua, has taken a huge interest in music and instruments. I noticed he would point out all the instruments in tv shows, and would march around the house as if he were in a marching band. To encourage Joshua's love of music, I found this plastic saxophone at the Dollar Store. It has been the best dollar ever spent!  It is amazing how this piece of plastic has to be carried wherever he goes...even for bedtime.  Josh even drew his first picture (besides the typical lines and scribbling).  We think this is Josh's interpretation of his saxophone. So if your child shows huge interest in something , try to find items geared towards that to enhance their learning.

Next week, Joshua and I are going to a playgroup that will be doing music time.  We are looking forward to that! 



Josh and his saxophone

If you have any fun activities/learning ideas for kids ages 1-3 please share them with me at ehermesch@gmail.com. Your idea may just find it's way to my blog!


5 comments:

  1. I love the idea of toddler tuesday! My sister does a music time for toddlers class (she lives in Georgia, though) and I wish I could get my son in something like that. He loves music!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Checked out your blog and love it! Tried to comment but it wouldn't let me. The one where you are competing with your hubby for your son's affection sounds like us. Every time I want a photo opportunity with my 2 year old, he is either crying or smacking or kicking me. And I am the one with the scowl on my face. haha

      Delete
  2. This is a really cool idea. As a mama about to have her first (May 22nd).. these are things I'll be needing to focus on soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know if you're having a boy or girl? Congrats! Being a first-time parent is the best thing in the world!

      Delete